- 5 pounds (2.3 kilos) fresh mussels
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp sriracha
- ¾ cup (180ml) beer (I used a dealcoholized red ale. Blonde or brown ale works also perfectly.)
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce (or tamari)
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
Clean mussels carefully and throw away any mussel that stayed open after you gently tapped on it.
Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and sriracha and cook about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
Add beer and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Add mussels, cover and cook just until the mussels open, between 3 and 5 minutes.
Transfer mussels to a large serving dish, spoon cooking liquid on top and garnish with the green onions.
Have you tried this recipe? Feel free to share your thoughts or experiences!