This is one of our favorite pasta recipes that I cook regularly. It's really the anchovies, here, that make the whole difference and bring a very rich taste to the sauce.
4 servings (or 450g of penne rigate):
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, cut into thin slices (or chopped)
- Hot pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 can whole imported italian tomatoes (796ml, 28oz)
- Pinch of sugar to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1 can chunk light tuna (in oil, preferably)
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
Over medium-low heat, sauté onion, garlic, hot pepper flakes and anchovy fillets in olive oil until anchovies disintegrate.
Add tomatoes and break them into chunks with a wooden spoon. Add one or two pinches of sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer, over low (or minimum) heat, for 30 minutes.
Turn off the heat, add the tuna without braking it too much and let the sauce rest another 10 minutes, while you cook the pasta.
Cook the pasta al dente, strain them and put them back in the pot (off the heat). Add all the sauce to the pasta, mix well and serve immediatly. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Have you tried this recipe? Feel free to share your thoughts or experiences!